ABOUT THE PRODUCT
- A DELICIOUS FAMILY AFFAIR: There is something for everyone in the family to look forward to. Cooks easy & fast with fabulous taste & earthy flavor hailing from the pristine waters of the Pacific Northwest. This quick cooking gem readily takes on the flavor you throw at them, so spice them to taste or try them as bland as your taste permits
- NUTRITION PACKED: Great source of plant-based protein equal to what a steak enthusiast gets from eating a meaty Steak. Also contains a potent package of amino acids, vitamins, minerals and fiber. These lentils are completely Raw (not prewashed), All Natural, No Artificial anything, No cholesterol, and all that with a low-glycemic index
- VERSATILE VEGAN POWERHOUSE: Make your favorite Lentil soup, colorful Pastas, Lentil Soy Burgers, Vegan Wraps, add to stew to thicken the gravy, or just make plain time-tested Indian Daal (also spelled as Dal or Dahl) Curries. Excellent addition to many of the healing eastern diets, including the Ayurvedic and the Mediterranean diets
- HIGH YIELD AND RESILIENT: Make 2.5x more food with just 2lbs of dried Red Split Lentils or Masoor Dal, excellent choice for difficult times, off-grid living and disaster stricken regions
- ARTISAN CARE: Hand cleaned and packed in small batches with love and care. However, despite our earnest efforts, please sort and rinse before cooking for best results as this ensures there are no hidden stones tucked among the legumes
BASIC PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS
Method 1 (Crunched for time): Rinse well and drain. Use 1:3 ratio rule; One cup of Zaiqa Red Lentils to 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce water as needed. In about 15-20 minutes, the result is an even and tender lentil paste perfect for soups and stews. Spice up the mixture per your recipe.
Method 2 (Lentil Curry with visible grains): Rinse well and drain. Soak in warm water between 20 minutes to 2 hours. Drain and keep aside. Longer soaking requires lesser water for cooking, almost 1:1 ratio. Spice up the partially tender Zaiqa Red lentils with your favorite lentil curry recipe. Cook for 5-7 minutes. The result is a tender, grainy lentil curry perfect with Tandoori Roti and Tandoori Naan. Also perfect with Basmati Rice.
BASIC STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS
Raw Dry Form: Store in a cool, dry place to preserve freshness.
Cooked Form: Up to 7 days in the refrigerator. Up to 1 year in the freezer, possibly more.
MASOOR DAL TADKA
This simple, authentic and flagrant recipe of Zaiqa Red Lentils is bursting with flavor. Treat yourself and your guests to a South Asian delicacy.
1 cup Zaiqa Red Lentils (sorted and rinsed) ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
¼ cup Ghee (or vegetable oil) 3 cups water
1½ medium diced Onion 2 medium tomatoes (Diced)
1-2 Green Chilis (rough chop) 1-2 tsp Salt (to taste)
3 cloves Garlic (thinly sliced) 1½ tsp Ginger (minced)
½ tsp Turmeric (ground) ½ tsp Cumin (ground)
½-1 tsp Red Chili (ground, to taste) ½ tsp Coriander (ground)
In a pot add lentils, water, and a little salt to taste (you will add more later) over medium-high heat about 20 minutes.
In a separate pot on medium heat add ghee, onions and sauté till onions are light golden. Then add tomatoes, garlic, ginger, green chilis, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder,
and coriander powder, mix well and sauté for 1 minute. Put aside till lentils are cooked. We will refer to this as Tadka.